This slow cooked pulled chicken is a real favourite in our house, and a great versatile go-to meal to prep ahead for a few days of meals! It’s a great, light and healthy dinner recipe, especially if you serve it with a big green salad!
- 4 x boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 x tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional, I always like to add more veges!)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (can sub honey)
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except for the chicken breasts in the crockpot and mix through. Add the whole chicken breasts, ensuring they are covered/coated in sauce.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours
- When the chicken is cooked, remove and shred using two forks.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and let heat through for a few mins to ensure chicken is nice and hot and well mixed through the sauce
I like to make a large batch of this tender shredded chicken to use in multiple meals. It’s great in burritos, with a mexican rice or salad bowl or homestyle shredded bbq chicken sandwiches. I’ve even used the pulled chicken on top of bbq pizzas!
As mentioned above, I often add fresh or frozen corn to this to lift the vegetable content. You can also add in a tin or two of black beans or red beans to bulk this up which is great in the mexican bowls or burritos. Just stir through the ready to go black beans about half an hour before serving so that they’re heated through.